Canada and Sweden have a few things in common. They’re cold climates with internationally renowned metropolitan centres. Both countries are crazy about hockey, and they both offer excellent benefits to their citizens.
What happens if you move to Sweden from Canada? Can you claim benefits? Read on to learn more.

Are You Eligible for Canadian Benefits?

Depending on your situation, you might be eligible for benefits from both countries, even if you move from Canada to Sweden. The two governments have an agreement on social insurance payments which came into force at the beginning of 1986.

If you contributed to the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) as well as the Swedish national pension plan, or you lived in Canada and Sweden, you might be qualified for Canadian and Swedish old age and disability benefits. Under the agreement, Canada will pay a benefit amount reflecting the portion of your periods that are creditable under Canada’s pension program, and Sweden will pay a benefit amount reflecting the portion of your creditable periods under Sweden’s pension program.

The two types of pension plans included under the agreement are CPP and Old Age Security (OAS). The Swedish pension plan covered under this agreement includes the Basic Pensions Scheme and the Supplementary Pensions Scheme.

Your eligibility for CPP and OAS are based on the contributions you’ve made to these programs. If you’re not eligible for CPP, the Canadian government will consider the periods in which you’re credited for Sweden’s Supplementary Pensions Scheme as the time in which you contributed to CPP. If you’re not eligible for OAS, the Canadian government will consider the time in which you resided in Sweden after the age of 18 as periods of residence in Canada.

Are You Eligible for Swedish Benefits?

As mentioned earlier, there is a Swedish pension plan. There are also other government benefits available to Swedish residents.

Once you arrive in Sweden, you must register with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). That will entitle you to basic healthcare, parental benefits, child allowances, disability coverage and other insurance payments.

What about eligibility for the national pension plan? The Basic Pensions Scheme provides flat-rate benefits based on residence in Sweden, while the Supplementary Pensions Scheme is based on income from employment and self-employment. To qualify for a benefit under the pension program, you normally must have resided in Sweden or contributed to the Supplementary Pensions Scheme for a minimum number of years.

Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd.: Your International Moving Experts

If you’re moving from Canada to Sweden, contact Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd today. We have been moving clients around the world for over a decade. Some of our clients were so happy with us, they’ve used us more than once! They love our commitment to customer service and professionalism. Our customer service representatives answer every question, and our moving crew shows up on time, with everything they need to get the job done right. To learn more, call us at 416-661-4228.

By Adi Shaked