Moving to India
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS WHEN MOVING TO INDIA
Firearms, ammunition and weapons unless licensed in advance. Obscene literature, photographs or films. Politically undesirable literature and Narcotics.
Business visas (which have to be supported by a sponsoring corporation) are valid for four months stay that can be extended for up to six months. Beyond that, requires a minimum one year work permit (again supported by the sponsoring corporation), and applicants should allow a minimum of three months for the process. A valid work permit is essential prior to the arrival of household goods. Foreign nationals must possess a visa valid for one year from date of last entry, to avail of duty concessions under transfer of residence.
Owner should have resided out of India for a minimum period of two years preceding his transfer to India and intends to reside in India for a period of at least one year. Short visits to India in the preceding two years are promoted provided the total duration of stay in India does not exceed six months.
The owner must be physically in India before customs clearance can take place. Air shipments must be shipped within 15 days and surface international shipments must be shipped within one month of owner’s arrival in India.
All shipments are subject to customs examination and customs duties will be assessed, based on the Customs evaluation.
In general terms under Transfer of Residence, a TV, VCR, washing machine, cooking range, dish washer, music system, personal computer, air conditioner, refrigerator, deep freezer, microwave oven, video camera, word processing machine and telefax machine may be imported at a duty of 35% of assessed value providing :
- That the combined value of these items must not exceed Rs. 150,000 (approx. US$ 4250 at 1997 exchange rates).
- There must only be one of each such item in the shipment.
Duplicate items or any sums in excess of Rs. 150,000 attracts 61% duty.
Other household goods, provided they have been in the owner’s possession and use for one year, will be allowed free entry.
- Owner’s Passport -ORIGINAL, Owner must be present in India at the time of customs clearance. Passport will be surrendered to the clearing agent and will be returned to the client at the time of delivery of goods.
- List of articles with values and date of purchase. (The inventory should be supplied by the international moving company)
- Customs Declaration Form signed by owner.
- Original Ocean freight Bill of lading.
- Diplomatic consignment – Duty free exemption certificate issued by Diplomatic Mission in India.
Major Appliances & Electronics are subject to Duty:
One of each type of major electrical appliance or electronic items, whether old or new, is allowed, at a concessional customs duty rate (@15%), for a total customs assessed value of INR 500,000.These items are: TV, DVD, Video Home Theatre System, Dish Washer, Music System, Air Conditioner, Domestic refrigerator of capacity above 300 litres or its equivalent, Deep Freezer, Microwave Oven, Video Camera, Word Processing Machine, Fax Machine, portable photocopier, cinematographic films of 35 mm and above. If the owner imports more than one of the same item, or the total custom assessed value exceeds INR 500,000 the second item and/ or the excess value will be subjected to the higher Standard Duty Rate (@38%) Import of Exercise and Sport equipments such as Golf Clubs: One set of used Golf clubs (another set of ladies golf club for the spouse) and used exercise equipments like weights, treadmill, exercise bikes are allowed to be imported duty free. New sets of all these items will attract a duty rate of 38% of CIF value. These items are not covered under the rules for import of sporting goods for personal use.
Duty free import of food stuff
Foreign nationals and persons of Indian origin holdings foreign passports are permitted duty free import of foodstuffs to a maximum value of INR 100,000 (effective Feb 28, 2002) per calendar year. Alcohol, liquor and wine are not considered as part of this duty free allowance.
Alcohol, Liquor & Tobacco Products
Alcohol, liquor and wines and other alcoholic beverages are not allowed duty free, as part of household effects. Customs duties and penalties for alcohol are very high at 135% of the value and these are also liable for confiscation. To avoid delays in clearance and heavy duties and fines, we recommend that alcohol is not included in household goods shipments.
Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest Indian customs office for full and current information prior to importation.
Moving to India
When moving from Canada to India it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with sending containers to India, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re Shipping a container and moving to India and finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to India. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.
The Best Overseas Moving Companies:
There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.
To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.
- The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
- Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
- Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
- Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
- Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
- Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.
Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipper. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers. We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family.(i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to India and choosing the right overseas moving services.
List of Indian consulates in Canada:
Consulate-General of India in Toronto, Canada
Suite # 700
365 Bloor Street East, 7th Floor
Toronto, ON M4W 3L4
Office Hours: Monday-Friday: 9.00 AM to 11.00 AM : – Receipt of applications [Visa applicants – Please see details under Visa Services regarding eligibility.] 3.00 PM to 4.00 PM: Delivery of documents on specified date
High Commission of India in Ottawa, Canada
10 Springfield Road
Web Site: http://www.hciottawa.ca
Office Hours: Monday to Friday
9.30 AM to 11.00 AM: Receipt of applications
3.00 PM to 4 PM: Delivery of documents on specified date
4.00 PM to 4.30 PM: For old pick-ups
Consulate General of India in Vancouver, Canada
#201-325 Howe Street
Vancouver BC V6C 1Z7
Web Site: http://www.cgivancouver.org/