Are you considering moving from Montreal to France? Your French skills will put you at an advantage over other immigrants from English-speaking countries. What if you’re planning on moving from France to Montreal? Perhaps you’d like to study at one of the city’s highly regarded universities. In either situation, it’s important to know about shipping rules and regulations for international moving. Read on to learn what you need to know if you’re moving to or from Montreal to or from France.

Moving from Montreal to France

France, like other countries, has a customs bureaucracy. So, when you’re moving there, you’ll need paperwork in order to ship your personal effects.

What paperwork do you need? For a start, there’s the certificat de changement de residence (certificate of change of residence). You must request this document from the French consulate in Montreal before you leave Canada. This document includes the date you’ve entered the country and the date you’re leaving. You’ll also need a certificat de non cession (a certificate of non-transfer) from the consulate, too.

This document shows that the goods you’re bringing into France are for personal use and you’re not going to resell them. Another document you’ll need is something that proves you’ll be living in France. This proof could be telephone bills or bills for utilities, or you could provide the title to your property or rental agreement. In addition, you’ll need proof that you lived outside of France for at least a year. You can use the same types of documents that you’d use to prove you’ll be living in France.

Moving from France to Montreal

Although Montreal is a very international city, it doesn’t have its own customs regulations. When moving from France to Montreal, you’ll need to fill out Canadian customs forms. However, if you’d prefer to fill them out in French, you can do so.

The Canadian government divides people coming to Canada into two categories: immigrants (people moving to Canada who are planning on establishing a residence for more than 12 months) and returning residents (people who lived in Canada then moved abroad and are coming back to the country). The difference between the two categories is that an immigrant can import household and personal effects he or she has used before moving.

For returning Canadian residents, they can import these goods to Canada duty-free if they’ve used them for six months prior to their return. Immigrants and returning Canadians must fill out customs forms (your moving company will provide them). One thing to remember is that when moving to Montreal, you’ll have to pay taxes on alcohol. You’ll pay Quebec taxes as well as Canadian customs duties on any alcohol you import.

Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd.: Your International Moving Experts

Wherever you’re moving, choose Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd. For over ten years, we’ve been moving people across the world. To find out how we can help you, call us at 416-661-4228 today.

By Adi Shaked