Moving to Costa Rica
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
Narcotics, explosives, pornographic or subversive material are prohibited. Special permits for firearms, ammunition, animal or agricultural products, plants, medicines, large quantities of liquor, food and cosmetics must be obtained. Also the exportation of Pre-Colombian articles is prohibited.
- All shipments of USED household goods and personal effects are subject to import taxes and duties, EXCEPT for:
- Accredited diplomats or members of International Organisations
- Employees of an organisation under contract with the Costa Rican Government with authorised temporary or definite importation of household goods
- Costa Rican citizens who have lived a minimum of 24 months abroad (partial exemption)
Documents required for Household Goods and Personal Effects:
- Original B/L or AWB (indicate total number and weight of items) Detailed inventory list of articles indicating brand, serial number and model of all electronic articles and electrical appliances.
- Number of pieces and weight declared on Original Bill of Lading (B/L) or Air Way Bill (AWB) must match with the real number of pieces and weight (Customs in Costa Rica will check this information; if it is different there will be delays in customs process from 4 to 6 weeks, and fines will be approximately US$250.00 will be charged)
- Itemized inventory or packing list with declared value for customs (prepared in Costa Rica)
- Original passport or copy
Motor vehicles are subject to import duties and taxes. The amount of duties depends on value, model, cubic cm and extras. Please contact us for current % of tax rates. Diplomatic personnel can import motor vehicles duty free.
Documents required for Vehicles:
- Original B/L
- Registration card and Certificate of title
- Purchase invoice
- Vehicle Emission Certificate notarised by the Costa Rican Consul in the origin country
- Used vehicle certificate must state all the characteristics of the vehicle. The certificate’s issued date must not exceed 60 days prior to the B/L issued date.
Domestic pets (cats and dogs) may be imported and require an A.W.B., health certificate, vaccination against rabies and the invoice indicating value of the animal.
Please note: For customs clearance (or tax exemption, if needed), all documents must be ORIGINALS and complete. No shipment can be delivered until customs procedures are completed, duties and taxes are paid and our agent receives final authorization form customs officials.
Outgoing shipments require an export permit and are subject to customs inspection.
Please be informed that in order to avoid unnecessary customs in Costa Rica, a general description of what the shipment consists of has to be declared on the Bill of Lading, as well as the exact amount of pieces and the real weight.
DESCRIPTION: Furniture, Used Clothes, Electrical Appliances, Ornaments, Utensils, Books, Chinaware, Rugs, Paintings, Lamps, Crystal.
WEIGHT: 1250 KG, 60 Pieces
If pieces are packed into wooden lift vans, the number of pieces will be the number of vans and not the quantity of boxes inside.
Please do not declare under any circumstances on the Bill of Lading: Household Goods or Personal Effects.
Effective January 1st, 2005 a new regulation to import shipments packed in wood will be implemented. Each wooden crate that comes into the country, must have an identification on the treatment provided to eliminate plagues. Customs clearance takes approximately 10 working days, once shipment has arrived to port.
Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest Costa Rica customs office for full and current information prior to importation.
Moving to Costa Rica.
When moving from Canada to Costa Rica it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with international relocations to Costa Rica, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re moving to Costa Rica and finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to Costa Rica. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.
The Best Overseas Moving Companies
There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.
To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.
- The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
- Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
- Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
- Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
- Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
- Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.
Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipper. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers. We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family.(i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to Costa Rica and choosing the right overseas moving services.
List of Consulates
Embassy of Costa Rica in Ottawa, Canada
325 Dalhouise Street,
Suite 407. Ottawa,
ON K1N 7G2, Canada
Phone: (001) 613-562-2855
Fax: (001) 613-562-2582
Office Hours: 9 am to 4 pm
Consulate General of Costa Rica in Ottawa
325 Dalhousie Street
Suite 407 Ottawa
Ontario, K1N 7G2
Phone: (613) 562-0842
Fax: (613) 562-2582
Office Hours: 10 am to 4 pm Monday to Friday.
Honorary Consulate of Costa Rica in Edmonton, Alberta
Suite 510, Royal Bank Building
10117 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta, T6R 1Z7
Phone: (780) 438-7878
Fax: (780) 435-8313
Honorary Consulate of Costa Rica in Vancouver, British Columbia
PO Box 16076, North Vancouver,
Vancouver, British Columbia, V7J-3S9
Phone: (604) 983-2152
Fax: (604) 983-2178
Trade Promotion Office – Commercial Section of the Embassy located in Toronto, Canada
16 Four Seasons Place, suite 107
Etobicoke, ON. M9B 6E5
Phone: (416) 865-3382
Fax: (416) 865-3383
Office Hours: 8:30am to 5:30pm
“Discover the Difference with Orbit”