Moving to England


Customs clearance for the UK (Transfer of Residence (ToR), form ToR01) must now be completed on-line through this link:

Please fill out the on-line form then follow the instructions to scan and send it (with supporting documents) by e-mail to HM Revenue & Customs at . This is the preferred method – ensure your name is in the subject line and all attached files are in .PDF format.

Following your submission, you will receive a unique reference number – please be sure to send this to Obit by e-mail.

You must complete the on-line application prior to your shipment leaving Canada.

Contact details of the National Clearance Hub which processes ToR1 applications:


  • Valid Passport
  • Visa may be required
  • Work Permit may be required
  • Detailed Inventory in English, dated and signed by Customer
  • Keys for any locked items

More information available at


  • C426 (for diplomatic entry – C426 consists of 3 copies and is available from the National Advice Service – 0845 010 9000),
  • C384 (Private Motor Vehicle – Application for release on payment of Customs Duty and VAT as applicable )
  • C179B (RE-importation of an unaccompanied private motor vehicle into the UK from outside the European community – EC)
  • C1421 for inherited goods – must also provide a passport copy of the beneficiary, copy of the will and copy of the death certificate


  • Goods must arrive within twelve months after Customer or up to six months before customers arrival
  • Other regulations vary according to the following:
  • Customer moving principal home or returning to the United Kingdom:
    • Used household goods and personal effects including tools of trade, can be duty-free if:
      • Items have been in Customer’s own use for at least six months before they are imported
      • Customer can prove that duty and tax have been paid on them prior to arrival in the United Kingdom
    • Customer entering from outside the EC must have lived at least twelve months abroad and cannot sell, lend or hire out or otherwise dispose of the items in the United Kingdom within twelve months of importation, unless Customer obtains Customs authority first
    • Customer who is setting up a secondary home in the United Kingdom
  • Customers living in another EC country used household goods
    • Household goods and personal effects can be duty and tax free if:
    • Customer either owns a secondary home in the United Kingdom or is renting one for at least twelve months
    • Items have been for Customer’s own use at least three months prior to importation and will not be sold within twelve months after importation
    • Customer can prove that duty and tax have been paid on them prior to arrival in the United Kingdom
  • Customers living outside the EC
    • Used household goods and personal effects can be duty, but not VAT free if:
    • Customer has lived for at least twelve months outside the EC
    • Customer either owns a secondary home in the United Kingdom or is renting one for at least twenty-four months
    • Customer has owned and used the items for at least six months before they are imported
    • Customer canot sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of the items in the United Kingdom within twelve months of importation, unless Customs authority is obtained first
    • Customer can prove that duty and tax have been paid on them prior to arrival in the United Kingdom
  • Special regulations apply to students, newlyweds, visitors, inheritances, those shortly to marry, to goods originating from EC countries, personal antiques (not for resale), etc. Specific details in these cases must be obtained by Customer directly from Embassy/Consulate.


  • New items, if less than six months old (invoice required)
  • Alcohol, tobacco and perfume products dutiable and must be declared separately
  • Plants will need a Phytosanitary Certificate


  • Firearms
  • Valid Firearms Certificate issued by the police authorities
  • All handguns other than certain .22 caliber target pistols, are now illegal in the United Kingdom. Importation is strictly prohibited
  • Ammunition, flick knives, explosives and fireworks
  • Drugs and narcotics
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Pornographic material and horror comics
  • Meat, poultry, fish and other animal products
  • Radio transmitters (CB radios, walkie-talkie, cordless telephones, etc.) not approved for use in the United Kingdom
  • Trees, plants, shrubs, seeds, bulbs, soil, potatoes and certain other vegetables and fruits
  • Most animals and all birds, whether alive or dead (i.e. stuffed) and certain articles derived from protected endangered species including
  • furskins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from the endangered species

For more information on prohibited items:

MOTOR VEHICLES (Including trailers, boats, aircraft, etc.)

  • Importation for most private vehicles is duty-free if:
    • Owner moving primary residence to the United Kingdom (Customer living outside the EC must have been abroad for more than twelve months) and vehicle has been owned and used abroad by Customer for at least six months
    • Was not purchased under duty/tax-free scheme, is for personal use and is not to be resold within one year of importation
  • Declaration to HM Customs – must specify year of manufacture, make, model name, serial number, chassis number, engine number, cubic engine capacity, number of cylinders, whether petrol or diesel, whether left or right hand drive, description of the body, price, the odometer reading, any extra or special features (e.g. automatic transmission) and any defects in the auto that would bring the price down
  • Documents Required:
    • Customs Form C384 (Importing vehicle when duty is applicable) may be required
    • Custom Form C179B (RE-importation of an unaccompanied private motor vehicle into the UK from outside the European community – EC) may be required
      • Community Transit Document (T2) obtained from Customs office in the country of exportation
      • Registration papers / Title
      • Police Certificate or Registration
      • Insurance Policy
      • Original Purchase Invoice
      • Log Book

For more information on importing motor vehicles:


  • Very strict restrictions apply
  • Health Certificate and proof of inoculation required
  • Dogs and cats: six months quarantine required in government approved facility
  • Quarantine kennel space limited, must be booked prior to importation
  • Import License – not granted until other requirements have been met, and quarantine (six months) in licensed facility has been arranged.

Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest United Kingdom customs office for full and current information prior to importation.

More information regarding importing food, animals and plants into the UK:

Moving to England

When moving from Canada to London it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with international relocations to London, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re moving to England and finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to London. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.

The Best Overseas Moving Companies:

There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.

To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.

  1. The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
  2. Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
  3. Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
  4. Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
  5. Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
  6. Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.

Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipping company. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers.  We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family. (i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to London and choosing the right overseas moving services.

List of British Consulates in Canada

British High Commission in Ottawa, Canada
80 Elgin Street
Ottawa K1P 5K7
City: Ottawa
Phone: (1) (613) 237 1530/(1) (613) 237 1530
Fax: (1) (613) 237 7980
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1330-2130
8:30am – 5:00pm

British Consulate-General in Montreal, Canada
Suite 4200
1000 De La Gauchetiere West
Montreal, Quebec H3B 4W5
City: Montreal
Phone: (1) (514) 866 5863
Fax: (1) (514) 866 0202
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1400-2200 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0900-1700

UK Trade & Investment Office in Calgary, Canada
Suite 700, Bow Valley Square II
205-5th Ave SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 2V7
City: Calgary
Phone: (1) (403) 705 1755
Fax: (1) (403) 538 0121
Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1500-2315 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0800-1615

British Honorary Consul in St John’s, Canada
PO Box 452
Station C
St John’s, Newfoundland A1C 5K4
City: St. John’s
Phone: (1) (709) 579 2002
Fax: (1) (709) 579 0475
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1230-2030 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0900-1700

British Consulate-General in Toronto, Canada
British Trade & Investment Office
777 Bay Street
Suite 2800, College Park
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2G2
City: Toronto
Phone: (1) (416) 593 1290
Fax: (1) 416 593 1229
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1400 – 2130 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0900 – 1630

British Consulate-General in Vancouver, Canada
Suite 800
1111 Melville Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6E 3V6
City: Vancouver
Phone: (1) 604 683 4421
Fax: (1) 604 681 0693
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1630-0030 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0830-1630

British Honorary Consul in Halifax/Dartmouth, Canada
1 Canal Street
P O Box 605
Nova Scotia B2Y 3Y9
City: Dartmouth
Phone: (1) (902) 461 1381
Fax: (1) (902) 465 2578
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1300-2100 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0900-1700

British Honorary Consul in Quebec City, Canada
Suite 700
1150 Claire Fontaine
Quebec City, Quebec G1R 5G4
City: Quebec
Phone: (1) (418) 521 3000
Fax: (1) (418) 521 3099
Office Hours: GMT: Mon-Fri: 1400-2200 Local Time: Mon-Fri: 0900-1700