Moving to El Salvador
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
Firearms, pornography material of any kind, liquor (*certain restrictions apply, see below)
The following documents are required for shipment’s importation:
- Original AWB, B/L or Cargo Manifest
- Original TIN (Tax Identification Number, to be obtained by consignee in El Salvador)
- Original Packing List
- List of items with reasonable values in US Dollars, following the correlative order “item by item” shown in the packing list. This has to be provided by the client (consignee) and should be in Spanish
- Certification of Migratory Movement (only for returning Salvadorian citizens). This document will be obtained by consignee in El Salvador.
- Diplomatic Franchise (only for diplomats)
- Original AWB, B/L or Cargo Manifest
- Original TIN of Importer (to be obtained by consignee)
- Original commercial invoice
- Original title of ownership, showing consignee as legal owner
Upon arrival, client (consignee) should provide the following documents for Customs clearance:
HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND PERSONAL EFFECTS
- Original passport
- Original TIN
- Sworn statement letter in Spanish
- A letter authorising OUR AGENT Member to carry out Customs clearance
- Original passport
- Original TIN of Importer
- Sworn statement letter in Spanish. This letter must be authenticated by a Lawyer in El Salvador
- Diplomatic Franchise (Only for Diplomats)
** PLEASE LOAD THE AUTOMOBILE IN FRONT OF THE CONTAINER’S DOOR **
IMPORTANT – Please send original documentation to our agent by courier A.S.A.P.
CUTOMS REGULATIONS FOR IMPORTATION OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS, PERSONAL EFFECTS AND AUTOMOBILES TO EL SALVADOR
- If you declare Household Goods and an automobile in the same B.L or Cargo Manifest, it’s very important that you provide 2 original B/L since Customs clearance for HHGDS and automobiles are made separately.
- We do not recommend that you send shipments LCL (consolidated) as Customs clearance is taking up to 1 month to be processed, because Customs is demanding the documentation of all the shipments consolidated in the container in order to start Customs clearance.
- It is very important that you declare the Inland and sea shipments only as “HouseHold Goods”, if you declare them as “Household Goods and Personal Effects” Customs will apply a fine which will be billed to you.
- The air shipment must be declared only as “Personal Effects” (This applies only if there is not furniture in the shipment) If you declare it as “Household Goods and personal Effects” Customs will aply a fine which will be billed to you.
- B/L must show: Value of ocean freight, exact net weight, volume (cbm) and also the real number of pieces shown in the packing list.
- AWB must show: Value of air freight, gross and chargeable weight, and also the exact number of lift-vans showing the real number of pieces that each lift-van contains, coinciding with the number of pieces shown in the packing list.
- If there are any additional items not shown on the AWB, B/L, Cargo Manifest and packing list, Customs will confiscate such items and the client / consignee will be subject to pay a fine of 300% over the duties value
- Please note that the original B/L (“Express Release” will NOT be accepted) and packing list are necessary in order to make Customs clearance.
- Note: If the steamship that you are using is Maersk Sealand, you will have to provide 4 (four) original B/L to make Customs clearance, otherwise it will be impossible to clear shipment from Customs. If another steamship line is being used, 3 (three) original B/L will have to be provided.
- Cargo manifest must show: value of Inland freight and also information of the truck and driver, i.e. Number of plate, driving licence number and driver’s name etc. For Inland shipments coming from Central America and Mexico, shipments must not be dispatched until Our agent has provided the Number of Merchandise Declaration assigned by Customs. This number will have to be shown at the border by the truck’s driver.
- Automobiles can be imported only if they have not more than 8 years of manufacturing, it doesn’t matter if client has diplomatic status.
- The importation of automobiles will be subject to the payment of duties (approx. 25-30% over CIF Value)
- Foreign citizens (non-Diplomatic) will have to pay Customs duties over their Household Goods and personal effects new or used. Customs duties rates vary with type of item imported and it is figured on the CIF Value.
- A returning Salvadorian citizen, after being more than three years out of El Salvador, and if they didn’t stay during this period of time in visits to El Salvador for more than 30 days (calender year), can import duty free new or used HHGDS and personal effects coming from the country where client has been living, up to a maximum of US$15,000.00 of the CIF Value. Customs will evaluate and tax any excess over this value.
- If client complies with the above mentioned requirement, they will have to provide a Certification of Migratory Movement obtained at the Salvadorian Migration Direction in El Salvador before shipment arrives into El Salvador. Consignee is the only one who can obtain this document and it’s obtention takes between 1 – 2 weeks.
** According to Customs regulations, it is permitted to import only 1 or 2 litres of liquor. If client brings more than 2 litres it will be necessary to obtain an extra Customs Clearance which is difficult and takes more time. Please confirm to Our agent if client brings more than 2 litres of liquor so a cost for extra Customs Clearance and also the required documents can be provided.
Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest El Salvador customs office for full and current information prior to importation.
Moving to El Salvador
When moving from Canada to El Salvador it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with international relocations to El Salvador, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re moving to El Salvador and finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to El Salvador. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.
The Best Overseas Moving Companies
There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.
To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.
- The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
- Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
- Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
- Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
- Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
- Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.
Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipper. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers. We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family.(i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to El Salvador and choosing the right overseas moving services.
List of consulates
Embassy of El Salvador in Canada
209 Kent Street
Phone: 01 613 238 2939
Fax: 01 613 238 6940
Consulate General of El Salvador in Toronto, Canada
151 Bloor St.
West Suite 320
Phone: 01 416 9750812, 01 416 9750684
Fax: 01 416 9750283
“Discover the Difference with Orbit”