Moving to South Africa
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
You may not import any goods made from endangered species. Exposed movie film or video tape must be declared on entry.
HOUSEHOLD AND PERSONAL EFFECTS
- Immigrants, Returning Residents and Temporary Residents: Used household goods and personal effects may be imported into the Republic of South Africa duty free. Customs forms DA304 and P1.160 must be completed in triplicate and presented to the Department of Customs, together with passport, residence permit and detailed inventory (in English) for attestation. Returning residents must have been out of South Africa for an unbroken absence of at least 6 months before they are automatically entitled to duty free importation of household goods purchased while out of South Africa. Temporary Residents will only be allowed duty-free importation if they are in possession of a valid temporary work permit.
- Foreign Diplomats: Duty free importation allowed upon production of a detailed inventory and a diplomatic clearance certificate completed and signed by relevant Embassy/Consulate in South Africa and countersigned by the South African Department of Foreign Affairs.
- Immigrants: One motor vehicle per family which has been owned and used for a least one year prior to shipment to South Africa may be imported free of duty. Once the rand value has been determined on the motor vehicle that amount is inflated by 10% and Value added Tax (currently 14%) is payable on the value of the vehicle. A special Import Permit in quadruplicate must be obtained either from the South African Embassy in country of origin or from the Department of Trade and Industry (Import and Export Control), Private Bag X192, Pretoria 0001. This must be submitted together with attested form DA304A. Registration documents and proof of value e.g. purchase invoice. Once imported the motor vehicle cannot be sold or otherwise disposed of for 2 years.
- Returning Residents: Full duties and taxes will be applicable unless the persons concerned can satisfy the South African Customs that when they originally left South Africa they had no intention of ever returning e.g. people leaving South Africa on temporary work contracts, extended holidays etc. are not allowed duty free importation of a motor vehicle. Thereafter the requirements and rules are the same as for an immigrant except that the Import Permit must be obtained from the Department of Trade and Industry (Import and Export Control), Private Bag X192, Pretoria, 0001.
- Temporary Residents: A provisional payment to cover full duties has to be lodged with South African Customs which is refundable when the vehicle leaves South Africa within one year of its importation. Should the vehicle not leave South Africa within one year, then full duties will have to be brought to account and paid to South African Customs, then the provisional payment will be refunded and an Import Permit will now become applicable. Proof of value e.g. purchase invoice and valid temporary residence permit must be produced. Import Permit not applicable if re-exported within one year.
- Foreign Diplomats: Diplomatic Certificate for motor vehicles completed and signed by local Embassy/Consulate and countersigned by the South African Department of Foreign Affairs together with proof of value must be produced. No duties or taxes applicable.
Providing the inheritor is in possession of a certified copy of the last will or testament wherein the specific items are bequeathed and an import permit, such goods may be imported duty free.
FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
These may be imported duty free but an Import Permit has to be obtained from Import and Export Control, Pretoria, before importation. A form SAP311 must be completed and signed by the importer which South African Customs will retain and thereafter issue form SAP312 allowing the importer 60 days to officially licence the firearm with the South African Police. The firearms/ammunition have to be physically inspected by the South African Customs before they will issue form SAP312 and should therefore be packed in an identifiable package and placed in an easily accessible position in the container.
This may be imported but is liable for full duties and taxes and besides an Import Permit from Pretoria a special Removal Certificate also has to be obtained before importation.
Dogs and cats may be imported directly only from approved rabies-free countries or from countries where rabies is well controlled without quarantine.
Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest South African customs office for full and current information prior to importation.
Moving to South Africa
When moving from Canada to South Africa it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with international relocations to South Africa, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re moving to South Africa and finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to South Africa. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.
The Best Overseas Moving Companies
There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.
To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.
- The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
- Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
- Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
- Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
- Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
- Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.
Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipper. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers. We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family.(i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to South Africa and choosing the right overseas moving services.
“Discover the Difference with Orbit”