Author Archive

How Much Alcohol Can I Bring into Canada?

September 29th, 2014 Comments off

bringing alcohol into Canada

Importing Alcohol into Canada: What You Need to Know

Being outside of the country, whether you are traveling or living abroad, gives you an opportunity to learn about new cultures, try new foods, and sample different kinds of wines and spirits that aren’t available at home. Luckily for you, it’s possible to bring these wines and spirits back to Canada as souvenirs of your journeys to other places. However, there are some important things you need to know about importing alcohol into Canada, whether you are bringing it with you or having it shipped.

Just How Much Alcohol Can You Bring into Canada?

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) allows you to bring a certain amount of alcohol with you in your luggage for personal use if you have been outside of the country for a year or longer. You can bring 1.5 liters of wine, a total of 1.14 liters of alcoholic beverages, or up to 8.5 liters of beer or ale. The CBSA defines alcohol as products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume. You can’t bring alcohol in your luggage for personal use if you’re under the legal drinking age.

Shipping Alcohol to Canada

You’re allowed to ship a greater amount of alcoholic beverages than that to Canada, though. The amount you’re allowed to ship will depend on the province. Also, you’ll need to contact that province’s liquor control authority before you ship the alcohol.

Below are the regulations for shipping alcohol to Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia.

Shipping Alcohol to Ontario

In Ontario, the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO) regulates the import of alcohol. The LCBO is also in charge of the liquor permit process. In order to ship alcoholic beverages into Ontario for personal use, you must fill out a liquor permit form.

The LCBO allows individuals to ship up to 120 bottles of spirits that are 750 mL, 1 L or 1.14 L, and up to 1200 bottles of wine that are 750 mL or 1 L in size. You must report all of them on the application form. If you’ve lived outside of Canada for less than five years, the alcohol needs to have been in your possession for at least six months. Have you lived outside of Canada for more than five years? The six month rule doesn’t apply – you simply have to have owned and used the alcohol you’re importing. You also can’t import the alcohol from someplace other than where you’ve been living abroad. So, let’s say you’ve been living in England for the past four years. You can’t import wine from France (no matter how much you love Bordeaux).

On the liquor permit form, you’ll need to enter the number of containers and calculate the deposit as well as the tax on each bottle. The tax and deposit information is listed here. You’ll also need to add HST. To calculate how much HST you owe, multiply the total tax by 13%. When you are clearing customs, you will submit the liquor permit form. You’ll also need to pay the tax and deposit on your alcohol, which is the sum of the tax, deposit and HST.

Shipping Alcohol to Quebec

In Quebec, the Societe des alcools du Quebec (SAQ) is the authority that controls the import of alcohol. To import alcoholic beverages into Quebec, you must contact the SAQ before you return to Canada.

The SAQ allows immigrants, residents and Canadian citizens to bring alcohol into Quebec as long as the alcohol has been in their possession for at least three months before their return to Canada. The alcohol must be imported no later than one year after your return, and it must be part of the same, single shipment as your personal effects. Furthermore, the alcohol cannot make up the larger portion of the shipment in either quantity or value.

A family can only bring in one beverage collection, and the amount of beverages in that collection depends on your status under Canadian law. Canadian citizens can bring in up to 180 liters of alcohol per full year spent abroad, up to 540 liters. Immigrants to Canada can also bring in up to 540 liters of alcohol. Temporary residents are allowed to bring in up to 90 liters for each year of their authorized stay, provided that the beverages were acquired three months before they came to Canada.

When your shipment arrives in Quebec, the CBSA will require the SAQ’s authorization to release the beverages. In order to obtain the SAQ’s authorization, you’ll need to provide documentation that you lived abroad, a shipping document listing your personal effects, and a list of the beverages in your collection. You’ll also need to pay a markup fee, the specific tax, the GST, and Quebec’s sales tax (QST) on each bottle. The specific tax is $1.40 per liter for all alcoholic beverages, and the GST and QST are 5% and 9.975% respectively. The markup fee for wine and beer is $3 per liter and $5 per liter for spirits. You will also need to pay federal duties and customs fees for your alcoholic beverages that are part of your shipment when you clear customs.

Shipping Alcohol to British Columbia

British Columbia does not place any restrictions on the amount of alcohol you can bring with you if you’ve been living outside of the country for a year or longer. This applies to immigrants, former residents of Canada who have lived abroad for at least a year, and temporary residents. The British Columbia Liquor Distribution Branch (BCLDB) requires that you possess the alcohol for at least six months before your return to Canada, and that it accompanies your personal effects.

You will pay a reduced provincial markup and tax on the alcohol you import into the province. The BCLDB has based its tax on 750 mL bottles. Table wine is $2 per bottle, fortified and sparkling wines are $3 per bottle, and spirits are $8 per bottle. These amounts will be prorated for different sized bottles or partially full bottles. It’s important to remember these amounts don’t include federal duties and taxes.

The BCLDB prepares the B3 Canada Customs entry form for you. This form contains information about the wines and spirits you’re importing. You need to supply the BCLDB with the following information: the number of bottles you’re bringing in, the size of these bottles, the type of alcohol, and the percentage of alcohol. The BCLDB also needs the name of the country you’re emigrating from as well as your local address, phone number and email address in case the agency needs more information. When the BCLDB has all of this information, a representative will fax, email or mail the completed form to you.

If you’re planning an international move to Canada from abroad and have personal items that need special care (such as an alcohol collection), you’ll need to contact a reputable company specialized in shipping to Canada to help you with the logistics, which can be quite complex.

Categories: blog, Questions and Answers, Tips Tags:

Tips On Staying Organized When Moving Overseas

March 5th, 2012 1 comment

Starting a new job and moving into a new home are stressful enough when you’re doing it domestically.  The thought of making an international move can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be utter chaos.  There are a few things you can do to keep all your ducks in a row.

When you label your boxes: ‘Bedroom’ or ‘Kitchen’ this only helps you out a little in the unpacking process.  If you label them with a number you can not only reuse the boxes for your return trip, but also on a separate sheet of paper you can keep a list of inventory that corresponds with the number on the box.  This way you’ll know exactly what is where.

Everything must go in boxes, minus full sized furniture of course.  This isn’t like when you’re moving to another part of town and you can shove things in an empty trashcan or laundry basket.  You’ll want to have everything covered and protected for it’s journey and for the unpacking process as well.

Inevitably in most moves something fragile breaks.  This is totally preventable!  It doesn’t have anything to do with how far the items travel it has to do with bubble wrap, packing paper and packing tape.  Don’t be shy. It’s more expensive to replace your broken item than to buy extra packing supplies.  This will also help you stay organized because the better things are packed the better, the better they fit together and the less crammed each box will be.

Ultimately organization will come down to your sense of order when you’re grouping things together.  In the living room you may be tempted to put all of the books in one box, but this can make it impossibly heavy, so either use small boxes for heavy items or split the boxes with books on the bottom and throw pillows on the top.

Keep calm and you’ll get through the move just fine, carry a pen and marker with you at all times and you’ll be able to label and list everything so well you’ll know how to find anything immediately.

In his role in the self storage industry, Mike James helps customers care for their cherished belongings that must be put in storage. Mike goes to see his facilities including an Albuquerque self storage facility center.  He was also recently meeting customers and staff at the Las Vegas self storage facility.

Categories: blog Tags:


August 31st, 2011 Comments off
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Thank you message for red forms

February 19th, 2011 Comments off

Thank you for completing the online Free Moving Quote form. An Orbit International Moving representative will contact you within 1 business day with an estimate for your international move. We thank you again and look forward to making your overseas move as seamless as possible.

We hope you enjoy using Orbit International Moving. If you have any questions or need any help please feel free to send us an email at or you can call us at (416)-661-4228.

Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Footer List – Moving to countries

January 27th, 2011 Comments off
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:


January 4th, 2011 Comments off
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Sidebar Images

January 3rd, 2011 Comments off

Volume Calculator
Customer Comments
Where's My Stuff
Why Choose Orbit

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:


January 3rd, 2011 Comments off
Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Please be advised that we have no connection or affiliation to "mudanzas orbit moving" in Mexico. We will not be held responsible for any fraudulent activity that "mudanzas orbit moving" in Mexico participates in. Please be warned that you enter into agreements with "mudanzas orbit moving" at your own risk.