Moving to Portugal
PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED GOODS
Firearms, ammunition, drugs, alcoholic beverages, foodstuff.
The Portuguese consulate general’s requirements: (438 University Avenue, Toronto Ontario – (416) 217-0966)
If you wish to cancel your Canadian residency and return to Portugal permanently, you can aply for Portuguese Customs tax exemptions on your own car, motorcycle or boat, by presenting at this Consulate:
- Your Income Tax of last 2 years
- Yorr vehicle booklet
- your Canadian driving/sailing/motoring license
- Documentation proving you owned the vehicle/boat for at least the last 6 months prior to the shipping date.
- Vehicle serch (Confirmation letter) which you can obtain at: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/issoff.htm
- Statement of the intended date of your return, permanently, to Portugal.
- Address and Phone number in Portugal where you can be personally contacted by the Portuguese Customs.
- Shipment of personal effects.
If you wish to cancel your residency in Canada and permanently return to Portugal, you can apply for a Portuguese Customs tax exemption on your personal belongings. For this you are required to present to the Consulate:
- Portuguese passport (if you are married please add also your wife´s or husband´s passport)
- Luggage list: item listing all the articles and specifying quantities. (Only used household articles are allowed. Electrical items must be used and furthermore, identified according to the brand, model and serial number.)
- Declaration with your complete identification, mentioning the date you became a landed immigrant in Canada, date of your intended definitive return, as well as your complete address and phone number in Portugal where you can be personally contacted by the Portuguese Customs.
1- Certificate of Residence
“Residence certificate” issued by the nearest Portuguese consulate confirming that he has resided in the country of origin at least during the last twelve months, prior to client’s departure to Portugal.
It is understood to be the normal residence of a person where same lives for a period of at least 185 days of a civil year, in consequence of his or her professional life or, in a case of a non professional life, in consequence of the bond between the person and the place where he or she lives.
For the purposes of the automobile tax exemption (in the case of importing an automobile to Portugal), it is by law required that a person lives and works abroad for at least 24 consecutive months.
2- Baggage Certificate (“Certificado de bagagem“)
All Portuguese citizens who work and reside outside of the European Community for at least the period of one year, when returning to Portugal in a definitive basis, are entitled to import their household effects with exemptions on import duties and Iva (V.A.T) exemptions.
Household effects are interpreted as household goods belonging to the person and his or her family, such as:
- household furniture and household belongings;
- bicycles and motorbikes (up to 50 cc), trailers, camping caravans, leisure boats and tourism airplanes that do not translate into, either by its nature or by its quantity, any relationship to commercial use;
- domestic animals and saddle animals;
- all mechanic portable instruments that are of personal or professional use by its owner;
Rules to be observed: items are not to have benefited from any exemption when purchased and have to be owned for at least a period of six months prior to importation in to Portugal.
Documents to be presented:
- Proof of residence (when started and when canceled);
- Proof that household effects are of personal use and ownership for at least six months;
- List of all household effects to be imported.
3- Certificate for the Importation of an Automobile.
All citizens, of Portuguese nationality, holders of a driver’s license, that can prove their status as productive immigrants for at least a period of 24 consecutive months, and that declare their intent to return to Portugal on a definitive basis, may benefit from the IA exemption (automobile tax ) on the importation of their automobiles, provided such automobiles have been of their personal use for at least a period of six months.
Rules to be observed:
- Citizen to be at least 18 yrs old, of Portuguese nationality and to hold a driver’s license;
- To have worked and resided outside the European Community for at least a period of 24 consecutive months;
- To own vehicle for a period of at least six months prior to importation;
- Citizen has to cancel his/her residence from present country of residence.
Documents to be presented:
- Driver’s license and vehicle registration;
- Proof of residence at said country;
- Proof of status of immigrant work for a period of at least 24 consecutive months.
- “Certificado de bagagem“
- Photocopy of passport (original may be required).
- EEC declaration supplied by RETTENMAYER.
- Declaration supplied by RETTENMAYER where date of arrival and other details are stated.
- Domicile certificate (atestado de residência) to be obtained by the client and issued by the
Junta de Freguesia in which client’s residence in Portugal is situated confirming the address and
mentioning the date since when the client has resided there.
- Proof of application for residence permit no matter client’s nationality (Portuguese are the only exception).
SHIPMENTS FOR FOREIGN DIPLOMATS
Diplomatic franchise should be obtained by the local Embassy.
Important: This information is intended for general guidance. Orbit International Logistics LTD. cannot however take responsibility for any errors or omissions or for any loss or damage that may occur from its use. As such it is advisable to contact the nearest Portuguese customs office for full and current information prior to importation.
Moving to Portugal
When moving from Canada to Portugal it is very important to choose the best overseas moving company. Orbit International Moving Logistics is the best international moving company in Canada. With our extensive experience with international relocations to Portugal, Orbit International Moving Logistics can offer you and your family, valuable insights about you’re moving to Portugaland finding the right international relocation companies and choosing the best international moving service overseas moving companies. We have listed below helpful ideas and tips that can help you plan you’re moving to Portugal. Shall you prefer to talk with an International moving consultant, please call (416) 661-4228.
The Best Overseas Moving Companies
There are many overseas moving companies who claim to be the best mover and best relocation company in the country. Of course this cannot be true because then, all the international shipping companies would be the best.
To help determine which overseas moving company is right for you, Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd has gathered some vital points for you to consider.
- The best tip – a recommendation from a friend.
- Research the overseas moving companies you are considering. Check if they are licensed to export and import.
- Make sure that you are performing an equal comparison between the quotes of the various companies. You compare international relocation rates from the overseas moving companies based on shipping an equal volume of goods and contracting the same exact shipping service on the same dates. Pay special attention to the “EXCLUDES” of each quote to insure that you are not overlooking any hidden fees.
- Check the overseas moving company’s referrals and reputation. Ask each company for testimonials from past clients. A reputable overseas moving company should have some for you to review.
- Visit the physical office of the overseas moving company you are considering. Never trust an international moving company without a physical address!. In this day and age anyone can have an office in their basement.
- Make sure that the overseas shipping company you choose has reputable overseas forwarding agents who can assist you in the same manner that you are getting from the company moving you from Canada.
Orbit International Moving Logistics Ltd was established by 2 long time family friends who had experienced moves with mixes results. However, none have satisfied the quality of service needed during such an emotional and straining event. We have extensive experience relocating customers worldwide by Ocean Freight and Air Cargo as we are an international shipper. Our rates are always All-inclusive. What sets us apart is the level of service we offer our customers. We provide free, no-obligation estimates, listen to your concerns, and find the solutions best suited to meeting your removal and relocation needs – whether you’re moving your family.(i.e. door-to-door, door to port, full containers, RO-RO, custom crates, etc.) We offer free consultations with one of our relocation specialist and assist you in planning moving to Portugal and choosing the right overseas moving services.
“Discover the Difference with Orbit”